September can be a fun time for kindergarten or preschool apple theme. Here’s a super simple apple math game that my students loved last year!
Related: Homemade Games for Kids
apple math game to teach math concepts and fine motor skills
How to Play
Children can play in groups of two to five, but my students preferred playing against just one friend. There are a few different ways to play this game –
- Each child gets an apple tree printout. The first kiddo rolls a die, then uses the tweezers to place the appropriate number of “apples” (pompoms) on the tree. The next child does the same. The children go back and forth until one has put all of the apples on her tree.
- Each child gets an apple tree. The children can pretend to be apple picking together. Each child places pompoms on his tree, making sure that the number is the same (each has 10 apples or 20 apples, for example). They take turns rolling the die and “picking apples” using their tweezers. The first one to empty the tree wins.
- Two children share an apple tree printout. One child uses green pompoms, while the other child uses red (or yellow). They can choose to pretend they’re apple picking, or they can put apples up in the trees.
Ways to Adapt the Game
Each child is different of course, so this apple math game can be adapted for different needs/concepts. Here are some ideas –
- If the kiddo is working on addition, he can use one apple tree, two dice, and two different colors of pompoms. He rolls the dice, then uses the pompoms to help learn how to add. If he rolls a five and a three, he can use the tweezers to add five red apples and three yellow apples to the tree. He can count all of the pompoms, then explain that 5+3 = 8.
- Add number cards to the game (or dice with numbers on them, rather than dots). The kiddos flip over a card, or roll a number die, then add that amount to the apple tree.
This simple apple math game allows children to practice counting, one-to-one correspondence, number identification, addition, fine motor skills, etc.
Done-for-You Preschool Resources
Planning meaningful lessons for students week after week, all while balancing other teaching responsibilities and a personal life, can be a daunting task. That’s where Preschool Teacher 101 comes in to save you time!
Preschool Teacher 101 is excited to share with you some amazing lesson plans, activity packs, and much more! We offer a wide variety of themes that are frequently used in preschool classrooms, as well as some less common (but super interesting) themes. Click on the images below to learn more about some of our apple resources!
Join The Pack from Preschool Teacher 101 today for exclusive access to our amazing products. And we even have three different membership options to suit your needs!