This apple tree math game is a great addition to your kindergarten or preschool apple theme. Kids explore a variety of early learning skills with this super simple (and fun!) game.
Dice games are so engaging for young children, so why not take advantage of that interest? Your students will be having fun as they learn and place the apple math game. Plus, it is incredibly easy to prep, which means you can play this with the kids tomorrow!
The apple counting printable can be used more than one way, too. This makes it easier to differentiate for the various needs in your classroom. Make your own, or grab the free printable apple dice game at the bottom of this post.
Related: Math Activities for Preschoolers
Apple Tree Math Game
Your students are definitely going to have a blast with this easy-to-prep apple tree counting printable. It’s a big hit over here when we’re learning about apples. In fact, some years the kids ask that we keep it far longer even when the apple theme is over!
Materials for the Apple Math Game
You don’t need much to get started, which is yet another benefit of this game! Here’s what we used (I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post):
- Apple tree math game printable
- Pom poms (yellow, red, green)
- Child-friendly tweezers or chopsticks
- Dice or number cube
How to Play the Apple Tree Math Game
As I mentioned above, there are a variety of ways to use this apple tree dice game. You can tailor it to the needs of individual students or small groups of students. That’s one of the things I like about making printables like this. They’re meant to support hands-on learning. Below I’ll share how we’ve used the apple math game over the years.
Children can play in groups of two to five, but my students preferred playing with just one friend. There are a few different ways to play this game:
- Each child gets an apple tree printout. The first kiddo rolls a die, then uses the tweezers to place the appropriate number of “apples” (pompoms) on the tree. The next child does the same. The children go back and forth until one has put all of the apples on her tree.
- Each child gets an apple tree. The children can pretend to be apple picking together. Each child places pompoms on his tree, making sure that the number is the same (each has 10 apples or 20 apples, for example). They take turns rolling the die and “picking apples” using their tweezers. The first one to empty the tree wins.
- Two children share an apple tree printout. One child uses green pompoms, while the other child uses red (or yellow). They can choose to pretend they’re apple picking, or they can put apples up in the trees.
Ways to Adapt the Apple Math Game
Each child is different of course, so this apple math game can be adapted for different needs/concepts. Here are some ideas:
- If the kiddo is working on addition, he can use one apple tree, two dice, and two different colors of pompoms. He rolls the dice, then uses the pompoms to help learn how to add. If he rolls a five and a three, he can use the tweezers to add five red apples and three yellow apples to the tree. He can count all of the pompoms, then explain that 5+3 = 8.
- Add number cards to the game (or dice with numbers on them, rather than dots). The kiddos flip over a card, or roll a number die, then add that amount to the apple tree.
What are the Kids Learning with the Apple Tree Math Game?
This simple apple math game allows children to practice so many early learning skills. Here are some:
- One-to-one correspondence
- Number identification
- Fine motor skills
That’s not an exhaustive list, but those are the main skills we’ve worked on using the game. How would you use the apple math game with your students?
Related: Homemade Games for Kids
Done-for-You Preschool Resources
Planning meaningful lessons for students week after week, all while balancing other teaching responsibilities and a personal life, can be a daunting task. That’s where Preschool Teacher 101 comes in to save you time!
Preschool Teacher 101 is excited to share with you some amazing lesson plans, activity packs, and much more! We offer a wide variety of themes that are frequently used in preschool classrooms, as well as some less common (but super interesting) themes. Click on the images below to learn more about some of our apple resources!
Join The Pack from Preschool Teacher 101 today for exclusive access to our amazing products. And we even have multiple membership options to suit your needs!
Get the Free Printable Apple Math Game
This free printable is available to members of Fun-A-Day’s free email community. If you’re a member, fill out the form below and the download links will be sent to your inbox. If you’re not a member, you can join us by entering your information in the form. Then you’ll receive the apple dice game printable as a welcome gift!
Open the dice game form in a new form if needed.