If you’re a fan of free preschool number printables, this apple tree math game is for you! This apple dice game lets students practice some important early math skills, all while having fun! It’s also incredibly easy to prep, which means you can play this with the kids today.
The apple tree game is a great addition to your kindergarten or preschool apple theme, although you can really play it any time of the year. Plus, you can differentiate the apple counting printable depending on the needs and ages of your students. Which allows for even more math learning.
Related: Math Activities for Preschoolers
Apple Tree Math Game
Your students are definitely going to enjoy this easy-to-prep apple tree counting printable. It’s a big hit over here when we’re learning about apples. In fact, some years the kids ask that we keep it far longer even when the apple theme is over!
Materials for the Apple Math Game
You don’t need much to get started, which is yet another benefit of this game! Here’s what we used (I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post):
- Apple tree math game printable
- Pom poms (yellow, red, green)
- Child-friendly tweezers or chopsticks
- Dice or number cube
- Laminator or dry erase pocket
How to Play the Apple Tree Math Game
As I mentioned above, there are a variety of ways to use this apple tree dice game. You can tailor it to the needs of individual students or small groups of students. That’s one of the things I like about making printables like this. They’re meant to support hands-on learning. Below I’ll share how we’ve used the apple math game over the years.
Children can play in groups or individually, but my students preferred playing with just one friend. There are a few different ways to play this game:
- Each child gets an apple tree printout. The first kiddo rolls the number cube (or a die) then uses the tweezers to place the appropriate number of “apples” (pompoms) on the tree. The next child does the same. The children go back and forth until one has put all of the apples on their tree.
- Each child gets an apple tree and a number cube. The children can pretend to be apple picking together. Each child places pompoms on their tree, making sure that the number is the same (each has 10 apples or 20 apples, for example). They take turns rolling the number cube (or a die) and “picking apples” using their tweezers. The first one to empty the tree wins.
- Two children share an apple tree printout. One child uses green pompoms, while the other child uses red (or yellow). They can choose to pretend they’re apple picking, or they can put apples up in the trees.
Related: Homemade Games for Kids
Ways to Adapt the Apple Math Game
Each child is different of course, so this apple math game can be adapted for different needs/concepts. Here are some ideas:
- If the child is working on addition, they can use one apple tree, two dice, and two different colors of pompoms. They roll the dice, then use the pompoms to help learn how to add. If they roll a five and a three, they can use the tweezers to add five red apples and three yellow apples to the tree. They can count all of the pompoms, then explain that 5+3 = 8.
- Add number cards to the game (or dice with numbers on them, rather than dots). The children flip over a card, or roll a number die, then add that number of “apples” to the apple tree.
What are the Kids Learning with the Apple Tree Math Game?
This simple apple math game allows children to practice so many early learning skills. Here are some:
- One-to-one correspondence
- Number identification
- Fine motor skills
That’s not an exhaustive list, but those are the main skills we’ve worked on using the game. How would you use the apple math game with your students?
More Apple Math Activities for Preschoolers
If your students enjoyed the apple tree math game, they might like these apple-themed math activities as well:
- Apple Calendar Numbers
- Printable Apple Addition Mats
- Apple Graphing
- Color Sorting Apple Activity
- Apple Counting Book
Preschool Apple Resources
Let Preschool Teacher 101 save you a ton of time with fully-developed, done-for-you preschool resources! That way, you can focus more on being the amazing teacher you are.
Click on the images below to read more about some of our apple-themed resources. And consider joining The Pack from Preschool Teacher 101 today for exclusive access to our amazing products. We even have multiple membership options to suit your needs!
Get the Free Printable Apple Math Game
This free printable is available to members of Fun-A-Day’s free email community. If you’re a member, fill out the form below and the download link will be sent to your inbox. If you’re not a member, you can join us by entering your information in the form. Then you’ll receive the apple dice game printable as a welcome gift!
Open the dice game form in a new form if needed.
Originally published September 2014.