As an early childhood educator, I do a lot with letter activities! My students are constantly learning about letters and words throughout the school year. Based on my education and teaching background, teaching children about letters needs to be done in a way that complements how children learn. I don’t employ “letter of the week”, choosing to focus instead on learning all of the alphabet with meaningful writing, reading, and letter activities. Below you’ll find all of Fun-A-Day’s posts related to letters and words. Be sure to check back, as I’ll be adding more resources as I write them!
learning about letters & words with hands-on activities
I have the activities below broken up based on letters versus words. Of course, each activity can be applied to both with a little tweaking. Click on the colorful text to be taken to each specific post.
- Teaching Children About Letters
- Icy Fizzing Letters
- Sorting Magnetic Letters
- Preschool Alphabet Activities Using Gold Coins
- Preschool Letter Activities with ABC Snowmen
- Preschool Alphabet Game for LMNO Peas
- 30 Fun Alphabet Songs for Children
- Word Walls in Kindergarten
- Making Winter Words with Letter Tiles
- Earth Day Making Words and Sensory Play
- Teaching Words with Ping Pong Balls
- Making Words Activities for a Reptile Theme
COLLECTIONS & ROUND-UPS
- Magnetic Letter Activities
- 10 Activities to Teach Beginning Sounds and Letters
- Letter Activities for Kids
- 10 Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Activities
Which activities would appeal to your kiddos/students the most? How do you facilitate learning about letters and words?
For even more activities that focus on children learning letters, be sure to stop by my Alphabet Pinterest board.
I also have a Balanced Literacy Pinterest board for a broader range of literacy activities.