These apple literacy activities for preschoolers and kindergarten kids cover a bevy of early learning concepts. Be sure to add them to your next preschool apple theme!
When you’re planning to teach an apple unit, you definitely want to include a variety of subject areas. And you definitely can’t forget literacy, right? So these 15+ apple literacy activities are sure to help as you plan.
The apple-themed literacy ideas cover important literacy concepts like letter names, letter sounds, rhyming, high frequency words, and more! And many even integrate other topics, like math, science, and sensory exploration.
Related: Fall Activities for Preschoolers
This is a collection of ideas meant to help make your planning a bit easier. That means you’ll find multiple links down below. You click on each of the individual links for more information about each of the individual activities.
How Do You Teach Literacy Concepts During an Apple Theme?
You can definitely integrate literacy lessons into your apple unit in so many ways. When doing so, be sure to keep a few things in mind:
- It’s important that you plan a lot of hands-on, multi-sensory apple literacy activities for preschoolers and other young children.
- Make sure that you consider length of time when planning. Keep your students’ ages and needs in mind.
- Consider integrating multiple subject areas in your lessons. That’s one of the beauties of teacher preschool and kindergarten. You can explore science concepts while touching literacy, math, and more.
- Remember that reading books and conversations are also literacy!
Take a look at the ideas below and choose a few of your favorites. That will definitely make your planning a little easier. And these activities might even inspire some new ideas on your part.
Materials for Your Apple Literacy Lessons
Before we jump into all of the fun, let’s talk supplies. Here are some materials you might need for the apple literacy activities for preschoolers (I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post):
You might have most of the materials on-hand already. If not, maybe you need an excuse for a trip to the craft or office supply store?
Apple Literacy Activities for Preschoolers
Below are 16 ideas to try during your next apple unit. Pick a few that interest you, and then click on the individual links to get more details.
- Add kids’ names on apples to this super easy apple sensory table.
- Combine art with literacy in an apple stamping alphabet activity.
- Use the free printable apple letters from this apple name activity to practice letters, names, and counting.
- Practice letter sounds, decoding, and CVC words with alphabet and vowel apples.
- Make an apple counting book to work on literacy AND math.
- Incorporate literacy into your dramatic play center with a letter a apple sorting invitation.
- Encourage the children to make spicy apple prints of the first letters in their names.
- Practice letter-sound correspondence with an apple tree find and cover letter mat.
- Use a ten red apples printable book to practice counting backwards from 10.
- Practice rhyming and oral language skills with an apple tree fingerplay.
- Lead the kids in an apple taste test and then make a class book about their preferences. This is one of our favorite apple literacy activities for preschoolers!
- Practice rhyming skills with apple-themed rhyming strips.
- Grab some red, yellow, and green manipulatives so kids can trace the apple ABCs.
- Challenge the kids to pick letters in an apple picking literacy game.
- Explore high frequency words and colors with the I See Apples printable book.
- Use letter beads and pipe cleaners as part of an apple CVC word activity.
Be sure to save this post for future reference. If you have an Apple Theme Pinterest board like I do, that might be a great place for it!
More Apple Literacy Activities for Preschoolers
Which of these ideas are you most interested in?
Apple Fine Motor Mats
Let Preschool Teacher 101 save you a ton of time with fully-developed, done-for-you early childhood resources. We have hundreds of lesson plans, math activities, literacy lessons, dramatic play packs, and more. Be sure to check out The Pack, our membership for preschool and kindergarten teachers, for access to more at a steeper discount.
If the apple literacy activities for preschoolers are a hit, our apple ABC mats are sure to be engaging. Click on the image below to grab it:
We have a wide variety of apple-themed resources. Here are a few more to make your life easier:
You can also find us on Teachers Pay Teachers.