Add these awesome seed art ideas to your collection of art projects for kids! Your preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten students explore science concepts as they create with various seeds. These seed art activities keep older children engaged, too.
I think the seed art projects fit in well with a variety of kindergarten and preschool themes. Plants, flowers, vegetables, nutrition, growing things, and spring are just some of the possible units that pop to mind. Or consider creating an entire thematic unit around the concept of seeds. There are so many possibilities!
Below, you’ll find over 20 seed-related art activities perfect for kids of all ages. You can definitely adapt the art projects to your specific students, too!
How to Prep for Your Seed Art Activities
First, grab the materials you’ll need for the seed art ideas you’ve chosen. Here are some possibilities (I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post):
Once you have the materials, arrange all of the items so your students can reach everything they need. Be sure to have clean-up items, like paper towels, on-hand as well.
Seed Art Ideas
Since I gathered so many wonderful ideas for you, I broke them down into a few different categories. This way, you’ll be able to find what you want a little easier.
To read the directions and details of the individual seed activities, click on the blue, underlined text. This will bring you to the specific seed art project you’re interested in. Each link corresponds to an image in the nearby collage. So take a look at all the ideas in this post and then pick the art activities you most want to try!
Pumpkin Seed Art Activities
Let’s kick things off with pumpkin seed art ideas! Many of my students over the years have been enamored with pumpkin seed activities. So we’ve done our fair share of art projects using pumpkin seeds.
- Make fall trees with our pumpkin seed art activity. Here’s a video that shows you more:
- Your Christmas tree art is only enhanced with colorful pumpkin seeds. Take a look at the idea in video form:
- Pumpkin seed painting is a super easy process art activity to try with your students.
- Let kids turn their names into art with a pumpkin seed name craft.
- Why not make some colorful turkeys with this easy Thanksgiving art?
- Help children learn more about what’s inside pumpkins with pumpkin paper plate art.
Seed Art Ideas Using Corn
Yes, I know that corn kernels aren’t technically seeds, they’re fruits. BUT inside each kernel is a seed, so I’m letting it technically count for this collection!
- Make a seed mosaic pumpkin with corn and a few other seeds.
- Use corn, and a variety of other items, to create various seed pictures with the kids.
- Corn painting is so simple and VERY engaging for children. I cannot even tell you how many corn paintings we’ve made over the years!
- Another consistent favorite is our corn mosaic art! Here’s a video peek at this activity:
Art with Sunflower Seeds
Let’s take a peek at some fun sunflower seed art ideas! I have to admit, I haven’t done much with sunflower seeds. So I’m excited to try some of these activities soon.
- This sunflower suncatcher craft is gorgeous. I can just picture it up in the windows!
- I know this paper plate sunflower art doesn’t show sunflower seeds. But you can easily swap them in!
- After trying the sunflower seed sweep activity, break out the glue for some fine motor art.
- The sunflower cupcake liner craft is sweet, simple, and fun!
- I love the three-dimensional aspect of this pipe cleaner flower.
Bean Art for Kids
When we’re talking about seed art ideas, we can’t leave beans off the list, right?! I feel like this is quintessential seed art for young children. Here are some great ideas to inspire your own students.
- Colorful bean mosaic art gives kids so many creative opportunities.
- Let the children make their own seed medallions to decorate with.
- More colorful bean mosaics, with a different twist on adding the color.
- You can make a seed picture garland for any time of the year. This one is focused on fall.
Even More Seed Art Ideas
I have a few more seed art activities to share with you. But they didn’t quite fit in any of the above categories, so I’m putting them here.
- Make a bird seed bear with your students during your next forest or bear theme! Or just because you want to try some fun bird seed art.
- Grab some whirligigs and create maple seed art with the children. I bet they come up with some imaginative creations!
- Apple seed art is just what you need for your next apple unit!
Now that you’ve had a chance to check out all of these glorious seed art ideas, which one will you try first? Be sure to save this post for future reference. Check out my Flower and Plant Theme Pinterest board for more ideas.
Seed Lesson Plans
Let Preschool Teacher 101 save you a ton of planning time with our done-for-you early childhood resources! We have lesson plans, dramatic play invitations, STEM challenges, literacy activities, and so much more. We even have our membership, The Pack, for preschool and kindergarten teachers like you. Our members have access to our materials at a steep discount, along with members-only content.
I think our seed lesson plans would pair well with all of the seed art ideas above! The lesson plans come with a weekly overview, detailed daily plans, book suggestions, whole group lessons, small group activities, center ideas, and related printables. Click on the image below to get your own set:
Here are a few more resources you might like:
You can also find us on Teachers Pay Teachers, if that’s your preference.