Add the reptile making words printable to your next preschool reptile theme. And be sure to check out the rest of my free preschool printables for even more ideas.
The reptile word cards can be added to your center plans as the kids learn more about reptiles. They’re a great literacy activity that also encourages scientific thinking. The real images of reptiles are super engaging, too.
You can use the free printable in multiple ways, too! You can grab your own copy of the reptile words at the bottom of the post.
With the majority of my preschool themes, I like to create thematic words for my students. Sometimes they’re small word cards, and other times they’re full-page word making sheets. When we were learning about reptiles, I put together these reptile making words sheets.
Reptile Making Words
The word-making sheets are pretty simple, but they provide a lot of learning opportunities. And you can use the printable in more than one way, which is always a plus in my book.
Related: Reptile Books for Preschoolers
How to Prep the Reptile Words
Begin by gathering any materials you need. Here’s what we used (I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post):
You might also want to pick up a few additional supplies:
- Dry erase pockets
- Magnetic letters
- Reptile toys
- Dry erase markers
- White boards
- Green sensory materials
Once you have the materials ready, get the reptile making words pages ready to go. It’s a simple process! Print the pages you’d like to use and laminate them. You can also place them in dry erase pockets if that’s easier for you.
Reptile Making Words Activities
As I mentioned earlier, there are a variety of ways to use these words cards in the classroom. Here are some ideas for you:
- Introduce the word cards by letting the children observe the pictures. Ask them which reptile is represented and discuss what they already know about that reptile. Delve into the letters in the animals’ name, pointing out how the sounds match up to the letters.
- Set the word cards out in the classroom writing center, along with letter tiles. Some children like to find all of the letters themselves, while others might need some extra help. For those who might be overwhelmed searching for letters, lay out the tiles they need near the word card.
Related: Alphabet Activities
- Keep the word cards out in the writing center as a reference for the children. If the children want to write about the reptiles, they can reference the cards and copy what they see. Some children might not be ready for this, of course, and that’s okay. They’re still being exposed to the print! Plus, they can always draw their own pictures of the reptiles found on the cards.
- Leave the word cards up and play a game of “make the man” with the children. They can use the words on the cards as references as they’re guessing letters and trying to figure out the word.
- Add magnetic letters, letter tiles, or Scrabble letters in a reptile-themed sensory bin. The children can dig through the sensory materials to find the letters because making the reptile words.
How will you use the reptile making words printable with your students?
What are the Kids Learning?
The reptile word cards might be simple, but they really pack a punch!
They touch on so many early literacy concepts. Here are just a few:
- Print carries a message
- Pictures act as cues for print
- We read and write from left to right
- Visual discrimination
- Letter names and letter sounds
- Fine motor skills
- Descriptive reptile words
That’s not an exhaustive list, either! Don’t forget to grab your copy of the reptile making words printable at the bottom of this post.
More Reptile Activities for Kids
If your students are really into reptiles, I have a few more ideas for you:
- Mixed Up Chameleon Art Activity
- Geometric Shape Snake Craft
- Nature Turtle Sticky Wall
- Alligator Small World Play
- Homemade Sea Turtle Stamps
Done-for-You Preschool Resources
Planning meaningful lessons for students week after week, all while balancing other teaching responsibilities and a personal life, can be a daunting task. That’s where Preschool Teacher 101 comes in to save you time!
Preschool Teacher 101 is excited to share with you some amazing lesson plans, activity packs, and much more! We offer a wide variety of themes that are frequently used in preschool classrooms, as well as some less common (but super interesting) themes. Click on the images below to learn more about some of our products that focus on all sorts of animals!
Join the waiting list for The Pack from Preschool Teacher 101 today for exclusive access to our amazing products. And we even have multiple membership options to suit your needs!
Get Your Free Printable
This free printable is available to members of Fun-A-Day’s free email community. If you’re a member, fill out the form below and the download links will be sent to your inbox. If you’re not a member, you can join us by entering your information in the form. Then you’ll receive the printable reptile word mats as a welcome gift!
You can see the form in a new tab if you prefer, too.
Annette Kaminsky says
Thanks for including the link to my Geometric Shape Snake Craft. I’ll return the favor soon, as your website is amazing!
Mary Catherine says
I’m a big fan of your fun ideas, Annette! That snake craft was fun. 🙂