15 gingerbread activities perfect for a preschool gingerbread theme.
Run, run, as fast as you can . . .
Be honest, you finished the rest of that in your head, didn’t you? “You can’t catch me, I’m the gingerbread man!”
There are so many wonderful children’s books about the gingerbread man, and every possible early childhood concept can be taught with this festive theme.
I know I’m a little biased, but a gingerbread man theme is probably one of my favorite themes to use with my preschool students.
To begin with, there are just so many amazing children’s books on the topic. Crafting themes around children’s literature is something I love to do.
Since there are a wide variety of gingerbread-related kids’ books, it’s easy to choose a few favorites. Or spend some time comparing and contrast the different stories with the children. This is a great way to build critical thinking skills in an engaging way.
A gingerbread theme is also a way to keep things fun and interesting for the kids in December. This is especially true if you’re looking for a theme that doesn’t focus on Christmas.
Add in the fact that you can teach all early learning skills with this theme, and you have one happy preschool teacher.
Most importantly, it’s just plain fun for the children!
Books to Read Before all the Gingerbread Activities
I just couldn’t resist sharing some of my favorite gingerbread books my preschoolers (and my own son) have enjoyed through the years. Do you have a favorite?
I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Fun Gingerbread Activities for Kids to Try This Winter
Check out some of these gingerbread activities for kids, and then let me know which is your favorite. Click on each photo to be taken to the activity!
What are some of your kids’ favorite gingerbread activities?
If you’re looking for even more ideas, please check out my Gingerbread Man Pinterest board! I’m always adding to it.
Preschool Gingerbread Lesson Plans
Save time and get right to the learning fun with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, book suggestions, and activity explanations. We’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
This set also includes the following related printables:
- Character Puppets (in color and b/w)
- Gingerbread Color Sorting Mats and Object Cards
- Uppercase and Lowercase Letter Matching Colors (in color and b/w)
- Gingerbread House Measurement and Size Sorting Cards
- Gingerbread Man Number Cards (in color and b/w)
- Ten-Frame Mats 1-10 (in color and b/w)
- Gingerbread Man Pattern Prompt Task Cards
- Gingerbread Man Rhyming Sort
- Ending Sound Matching Puzzles
- Roll and Graph Game
- Gingerbread Man Water Science Experiment Recording Sheet (in color and b/w)
- Cookie Recording Sheet (in color and b/w)
- Decorate a Gingerbread House Counting Mats for Numbers 1-10 and one blank version in color and b/w
- Gingerbread Five Senses Recording Sheet (in color and b/w)
Get your lesson plans here:
You can also find us on Teachers Pay Teachers