I know it’s after Valentine’s Day, but I wanted to share a super easy valentine holder my preschool kiddos made. Even though this was incredibly simple, my students had a ton of fun creating and decorating.
simple valentine holder made of paper plates
1. Hold both paper plates in half.
2. Keep the plates held at opposing angles.
3. Bring the plates together at the bottom, nestling one plate within the other.
4. Adjust to create a heart shape to your satisfaction.
5. Staple along the bottom of the heart-shaped holder.
6. Staple along the top where the plates meet.
7. Allow the children to decorate the valentine holder with markers and stickers.
8. Punch a hole on each side of the holder and string ribbon through.
There are so many other ways to decorate these easy valentine holders! We used markers and foam stickers because the children LOVE them. We had those materials on-hand, and I’m all about using what we already have!
Glitter, regular stickers, bits of ribbons, and colorful buttons are just a few other materials you could use as decorations. Allowing the children to paint the paper plates before assembly is another possibility.
If you want a more defined heart shape, simple trim the valentine holder along the top edges until you’re happy with the shape. The boys and girls liked their hearts the way they were, so I didn’t do this.
In case you’re wondering, these valentine holders had some learning components as well! Some of our foam stickers were words and phrases, which gave a literacy twist to this activity. I read the stickers to the kids, and many of the children even sorted the stickers based on the words. On top of the literacy, those little foam stickers gave the children’s fine motor skills a workout!
Since we received a huge amount of snow last week, our Valentine’s Day celebration won’t take place until after President’s Day. So we won’t be using these valentine holders until later! What did your kiddos make to hold their valentines?
For more ideas, please pop by my Valentine’s Day Pinterest board! 🙂