Still Playing School has organized an amazing resource of ideas to get the kiddos moving (especially when they’re stuck inside due to bad weather) – Fun Gross Motor Ideas from A to Z! I’m excited to be a part of it with preschool gross motor activities centered around “L is for Logs”.
preschool gross motor activities with logs outside
Last year, some of our preschool parents donated logs to our playground. Ever since then, the kiddos have been enamored with them!
Related: Outdoor Messy Play Ideas
The students have used their gross motor skills for so many activities with the logs. Here’s a sampling of those activities:
- Created a wall out of the logs, to protect their “castle” from “an invasion”
- Carted the logs from one of the playground to another, simply because they wanted to see if they were up to the challenge!
- Used the logs as seating for a fire pit so they could roast s’mores during summer camp. Of course, the fire pit and s’more-making was overseen by teachers!
- Put together all kinds of log structures and piles of logs, like this one they made last month.
preschool gross motor activities with “logs” inside
Since Still Playing School’s A to Z series is focused on indoor activities, I wanted to share an easy game we played with blocks. It was a great way to get the kids moving when we were stuck inside because of crummy weather! For this game, we pretended the long wooden blocks from our home center were “logs.”
Here’s how we played “Leaping Over Logs”
- I had the kiddos sit on either side of our circle time and block center rug.
- One kiddo rolled a large die and counted the dots. The die determined how many “logs” he had to stack up at the end of the rug.
- The next child ran and leaped over the block pile. Then it was her turn to roll the die.
This incredibly easy game integrated gross motor skills, math, and teamwork into one easy package! Even better, the boys and girls had a blast!
Do you have some favorite preschool gross motor activities you just love? If so, please be sure to tell me about them in the comments below! And don’t forget to check out the rest of the alphabet from the A to Z Gross Motor Series! There’s even an awesome giveaway sponsored by Discount School Supply!
Done-for-You Preschool Resources
Planning meaningful lessons for students week after week, all while balancing other teaching responsibilities and a personal life, can be a daunting task. That’s where Preschool Teacher 101 comes in to save you time!
Preschool Teacher 101 is excited to share with you some amazing lesson plans, activity packs, and much more! We offer a wide variety of themes that are frequently used in preschool classrooms, as well as some less common (but super interesting) themes. Click on the image below to learn more about our play outside song pack!
Join The Pack from Preschool Teacher 101 today for exclusive access to our amazing products. And we even have three different membership options to suit your needs!