This easy-to-prep monster match game is perfect for preschoolers. Be sure to check out the rest of my free preschool printables when you’re done here.
The Halloween memory game uses printable “monster” cards that are not scary in the least. That way, the kids can focus on exploring visual discrimination and other early literacy skills.
You can use the printable monster cards for a variety of activities, too. Once the kids have played the matching game, try a few other ideas with the cards.
October is a fun time to break out some monster fun in preschool. Here’s a simple monster-themed Halloween matching game kids of different levels can enjoy. The kids will love this addition to your Halloween activities for preschoolers.
Monster Match Game
These printable monster cards can be used a variety of ways, with kids of different ages. You could make them into a Halloween matching game for a small group, or turn the cards into a simple monster busy bag for the children.
How to Prep the Halloween Memory Game
You can get the monster match game ready to go quickly. That means you can play it with the kids tomorrow if you want to!
First, grab your materials. Here’s what we used (I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post):
Then it’s time to get the monster match game prepped for the kids! Print out multiple copies of the “monster” pages. Be sure to print out the cards best suited to your classroom or your child. Cut the cards apart.
Once that’s done, I suggest laminating the cards. That way, the kiddos can use them over and over again.
How to Use the Monsters Printable
These monster match game cards can be used a few different ways, depending on the child. Below are a few ways to use them:
- Print out multiple versions of the picture-only cards. Children can match the “monsters” that are the same.
- Print out copies of the picture-only cards, as well as the picture-word cards. Kids can match up the pictures while also seeing the words.
- Print out copies of the picture-only cards, as well as the word-only cards. This task focuses more on letters and letter sounds, providing a bit more of a challenge for kids who need it.
- Kiddos can use the monster cards to set up a simple game of memory.
- Add magnetic letters to the busy bag so children can create the words that match up with the monsters.
Preschool Monster Lesson Plans
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 learning activities related to the theme. Click on the image below to get your own:
This set includes active hands-on learning ideas, book suggestions, and the following printables:
- Monster Calendar (or general number) Cards
- Uppercase Monster Letter Cards
- Lowercase Monster Letter Cards
- Color Matching Monster Mats and Activity Pieces
- Counting Monster Mats (1-10)
- Roll and Count Monster Math Game Boards (6 versions)
- Feed the Monster Templates
- Monster Munchies Beginning Sound Cards
- Number Cubes (6 versions) for Monster Math Activities
- Roll-A-Monster Creative Art Activity Pieces and Game Cube
- Monsters’ Healthy Choices Recording Sheet
- Monster Hourse Beginning Sound Sort
- Monster Number Cards(0-35)
- Where Do Monsters Live Book Making Guide and Printable Pages
You can also find us on Teachers Pay Teachers.
More Monster Activities
This simple monster match would be perfect to use after reading Leonardo the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems! Click on the links below for more activities based on the book, as well as additional monster-themed activities:
- Play Dough Monsters
- Monster Slime
- Paint Chip Monsters
- Monster Collage
- Leonardo the Terrible Monster Craft Game
- Monster Play Dough
Get Your Free Monster Match Game Printable
The monster match game cards are available to members of Fun-A-Day’s free email community. If you’re a member, fill out the form below and the download links will be sent to your inbox. If you’re not a member, you can join us by entering your information in the form. Then you’ll receive the printable as a welcome gift!
If you can’t see the above form, open it here in a new tab.