Try this apple name activity during your next kindergarten or preschool apple theme. You can use the free printable apple letters to make more than names, too.
Below I share multiple ways to create an apple-themed name activity. The mix of literacy with art and crafts really engages the kids. Plus, the use of their names and images makes this a very interesting, personal activity.
Related: Free Preschool Printables
These name ideas are perfect for extending the book Ten Apples Up On Top, if that’s a book your students enjoy.
Apple Name Activity
We made apple names two different ways. Both of them let kids practice various early learning skills like:
- Letter identification
- Names and sight words
- Left-to-right directionality
- Letter formation
I’ll share what we did for each apple name activity below, as well as a few other ways to use the printable apple letters.
Materials for the Apple Names
Here’s what we used for both of the apple name activities:
- Printable apple letters (get the free printable at the bottom of this post)
- Pictures of each child’s face
- Tempera paint
- White paper
You don’t have to use the exact same materials we did. Feel free to make adjustments based on what you already have on-hand.
Now let’s jump into both of the apple name activities. You can choose to do just one, or try both of them with the kids. The activities are different enough that the kids got a kick out of trying both.
Printable Apple Name Activity Directions
Prep the letter apples. I printed out my own letter apples, but there are other ways to make them – letters could be handwritten on apple die-cuts or hand-cut apples. It doesn’t have to be anything super fancy!
Once the letter apples are ready, I’d suggest laminating them. They’ll hold up through repeated uses this way (I know this from personal experience)! Do the same with a drawing or photo of the child(ren).
For this activity, use a pocket chart, a large piece of paper, a piece of cardboard, or just the kitchen table. Encourage the kiddo to make her name from left to right first. Then help her stack her name vertically, with the first letter apple up on top and placing each subsequent letter below. At the bottom of her name, she can add the photo or drawing of herself!
In the classroom, this apple name activity is perfect at a pocket chart. Leave the laminated photos of the kiddos, along with the letter apples, nearby. During circle time or center time, the children can practice making their names and their friends’ names!
Stamping Name Apples Up on Top
Of course you can use apple stamping art to make a fun apple name activity for the kids.
Let the child delve into apple print making. He may want to create and explore this concept for a while, and that’s just fine! Once he’s satisfied that exploration, have him make one apple print for each letter of his name.
When the apple prints are dried, cut them out and write a letter on each. Depending on the child, he can help with this process too!
Then set up the apple name activity activity just like the first one. Again, this activity would work well at home or in the classroom!
Apple Name Activity Letter Matching
Of course, you can combine both of the above activities! Make the apple letters as I described earlier. Then challenge the children to
Apple Letter Matching Directions
For this, combine the letter apples from the two previous activities. Depending on the child, this activity could be done in different ways:
- Place one set of letter apples out to spell her name. Then have her match those letters with the painted apple print letters.
- Use either name set to put her name together on her own. Make it into a game by mixing up the letters and seeing if she can reassemble her name.
- Place the letter apples near a sensory writing tray and encourage her to write her name in the tray.
Which apple name activity would your kids like the most? If you try it out, I’d love to see pictures of the process over on Fun-A-Day’s Facebook page!
Other Ways to Use the Apple Letters
Of course, you don’t have to use the apple letters just with an apple name activity. There are almost countless ways to use the letters. Here are a few ideas:
- Use the apple letters to make other words, like sight words.
- Pair the letters with sensory writing trays. The letters can act as writing cues.
- Place the letters in an apple-themed sensory bin. The kids can go on a letter hunt.
- Practice alphabetical order with the letters.
How will YOU use the printable apple letters with the kids?
Even More Apple Activities for Kids
Did your students love this apple name activity? If you’re on the hunt for even more apple themed activities, I’ve got you covered. Click on the links below:
- Apple Counting Activity from Simple Play Ideas
- Felt Apple Pie Making Kit from Still Playing School
- Apple Tree Quiet Book from Teach Me Mommy
- Free Apple Playdough Mats from Playdough to Plato
- Apple Color Sorting from Modern Preschool
- Free Apple Orchard I Spy and Scavenger Hunt from Life Over Cs
- Apple Puzzle Making from Play and Learn Everyday
- Farmer Brown Has Five Red Apples Song Printable from Stay at Home Educator
- Apple Print Animal Art from Liz’s Early Learning Spot
- Fine Motor Apple Collage from Powerful Mothering
- Apple Time Activities from Fairy Poppins
- Painting with Apples from Fun-A-Day
- Apple Patterns from The Kindergarten Connection
There are so many engaging apple ideas out there. What are some of your favorites to do with the kids?
Apple Theme Preschool Lesson Plans
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 learning activities related to the theme. Click on the image below to get your own:
This set includes active hands-on learning ideas, book suggestions, and the following printables:
- Apple Number Cards (0-35)
- “Counting Apples” emergent reader
- “I See Apples” emergent reader
- Apple Letters (uppercase and lowercase in both red and green)
- Apple Life Cycle Cards (in color and b/w)
- Label the Apple Diagram (in color and b/w) with labeling cards
- Apple Pattern Cards
- Put the Apples on the Tree Game Mat
- Editable cover and pages for a class apple book
You can also find us on Teachers Pay Teachers.
Get the Free Printable Apple Letters
This free apple name activity printable is available to members of Fun-A-Day’s free email community. If you’re a member, fill out the form below and the download links will be sent to your inbox. If you’re not a member, you can join us by entering your information in the form. Then you’ll receive the apple letters printable as a welcome gift!
Open the form in a new tab if you can’t see it above.