Oh, how I love a good preschool ocean theme! Of course, the following ideas would be wonderful for a kindergarten ocean theme, too! Or adapt them for older children, as well! This collection is broken down into categories so you can find exactly what you want- arts and crafts, sensory bins, science, play doughs, math, literacy, and snacks.
Amazing Ideas for a Preschool Ocean Theme!
ART & CRAFTS
Let the kiddos get creative as they learn about the ocean:
- Shell Painting with Watercolors – Fun-A-Day
- Cardboard Aquarium Craft – MollyMoo
- Toy Surfboard Craft for Kids – Play Trains
- Create and Ocean Play Scene – Paint on the Ceiling
- Coffee Filter Seahorse Art – Planet Smarty Pants
Hands-on sensory play ideas for an ocean theme:
- Super Simple Ocean Sensory Bin – Fun-A-Day
- Ocean Slime Recipe for Kids. – Fun-A-Day
- Taste-Safe Play Sand & Beach Small World – Fun-A-Day
- Ocean Floor Discovery Bin – My Nearest and Dearest
- Giant Sensory Lagoon – Twodaloo
- Ocean Sensory Tray with Frozen Rice – The Imagination Tree
Activities for your little oceanographers:
- Frozen Ocean Animal Rescue – Mama.Papa.Bubba
- Explore Ocean Zones with Under the Sea Bottle – KCEdventures
- Invitation to Explore Ocean Water – Little Bins for Little Hands
- Ocean Science for Kids – Salt Water and Waves – Gift of Curiosity
- Octopus Black Ink Experiment – Learn.Play.Imagine
Sensory meets arts/crafts for more ocean fun:
- Taste-Safe Coconut Cloud Dough – Fun-A-Day!
- Sea Life Play Dough Imprints – Plain Vanilla Mom
- Beach Sand Cloud Dough Recipe (with Real Sand) – Fun at Home with Kids
- Rocky Shore Small World with Play Dough – Buggy and Buddy
- Natural Sand Play Dough – Creative Playhouse
Ocean math ideas to get the kiddos counting and sorting:
- Shell Sorting – No Time for Flashcards
- Counting Pearls for Shells – Rockabye Butterfly
- Sorting and Graphing Shells – One Time Through
- Fishbowl Counting Mats – The Preschool Toolbox
- Fish Math – Mom to 2 Posh L’il Divas
Ways to encourage literacy learning during a preschool ocean theme:
- Sea Shell Letter Match – And Next Comes L
- Ocean and Beach Books for Preschoolers – Mamas Like Me
- Sight Word Seashells – NurtureStore
- Don’t Soak the Shark Letter Matching Game – Toddler Approved
- Montessori-Inspired Beach Language Activities – Living Montessori Now at PreK and K Sharing
Make those snacks even better with these ocean twists:
- Jellyfish for Lunch – JDaniel4’s Mom
- Sand Dollar Cookies – Diamonds for Dessert
- Seashell Snack and Play – Fantastic Fun and Learning
- Fine Motor Fishing Snack – Twodaloo
- Under the Sea Snack – Creative Kid Snacks
Would you add any other ideas to this preschool ocean theme? Let me know your favorites in the comments below!
Materials for a Preschool Ocean Theme
The possibilities are endless when it comes to an ocean theme in preschool. And I always found that it was one of my students’ favorite things to explore and learn about. So, maybe you’re looking for some inspiration to create your own ocean activities. Check out the items in the list below for a little bit of ocean inspiration!
I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
- Beach toys
- Kinetic sand
- Sea shells
- Ocean animals toys
- Goldfish crackers
- Blue paint
- Blue food coloring
- Water table
Check out Fun-A-Day’s early childhood themes page for more themed fun and learning!
Preschool Ocean Theme Lesson Plans
Save time and get right to the playful learning with our printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and we’ve provided different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
Originally published on June 20, 2014