This summer read it build it write it mat is the perfect addition to your summer activities for preschoolers and kindergartners!
Your students can use the mat to practice a variety of early literacy skills focused on the alphabet. And there’s not just one way to use the summer alphabet building mat. I love when printables can be used a multitude of ways.
Plus, the summer literacy printable is low-prep. This means you can have it ready to go for your students in a snap! It’s perfect for both small groups and center time choices.
Related: Free Preschool Printables
Read below for printing and prepping instructions, as well as tips for using the summer read it write it build it with your students. Once you’re done reading, be sure to request the download link at the bottom of this post!
Summer Read It Build It Write It
This letter building mat is sure to engage your little learners as they explore the alphabet. Use the free printable during small groups so you can teach your students what to do. Once they’re familiar with how to use the
How to Prep the Letter Building Mats
Once you’ve gathered all your supplies, it’s time to get things prepped. Here’s what to do:
- Get the printable from the bottom of this post and download it to your computer.
- Print the summer read it build it write it printable.
- Laminate the main page or place it in a dry erase pocket.
- Cut the alphabet cards apart and laminate them.
And that’s about it! The prep is pretty straight forward and doesn’t take up much of your time.
How to Use the Summer Read It Build It Write It Mat
Now it’s time to call the kids over for some alphabet fun! Introduce the summer letters printable to your students. Model and explain how to use the items, thinking out loud as you show the children what to do. For kids just starting to explore the alphabet, I suggest starting with just a few letters at a time. Add more as the children’s needs indicate.
Here’s the basic rundown of how the kids use the letter printable:
- First, they pull an alphabet card and place it in the “read” spot.
- Then they use a dry erase marker to writer the letter in the “write” spot.
- Finally, they use manipulatives to build the letter in the “make” spot.
And that’s really all there is to it! Of course, there’s room for a lot of variety within the alphabet mat. It doesn’t have to be done exactly the way I shared above. For example, you can change things up with the manipulatives.
More Ideas for the Summer Say It Build It Write It Free Printable
That’s not really all you can do with this simple printable either. Here are some additional ways you can use the summer read it build it write it mat in your classroom:
- Have the children roll out play dough “snakes” to form the letters on the mat.
- Pair the alphabet printable with magnetic letters. Then have the kids use those in place of manipulatives in the “build” spot.
- Put together a sensory writing tray with your favorite summer-themed materials. Sand would work well. Let the children practice letter formation in the tray, using the letter cards as visual cues.
- Encourage your students to work in pairs with the summer letter mats. One person can pick a letter, one person can write the letter, and they can both work together to build the letter.
You and the kids might come up with even more uses for this printable. If so, be sure to tell me all about it in the comments below!
More Summer Literacy Ideas for Kids
I even have a large collection of 30+ summer literacy activities for preschoolers and kindergarten kids. Just in case you’re looking for even more ideas.
Big Read Write Build Summer Fine Motor Pack
You really need to check out our full version of this concept over in Preschool Teacher 101’s shop! The fully-developed Summer Fine Motor Pack has over 240 pages of reading, writing, and building fun (in both color and black-and-white). Kids can practice letters, numbers to 35, AND shapes. There are even editable cards included so you can cater the learning to your students’ specific needs.
Plus, there are four themes to choose from within the pack – sandcastles (like in the free printable), watermelon, ocean animals, and ice cream. And each set has a choice of recording pages to further the learning. Click on the image below to get your own:
While you’re over there, be sure to read up on The Pack, our membership for preschool and kindergarten teachers just like you! Members have access to our resources at a steep discount.
Get the Free Summer Read It Build It Write It Printable
This free printable is available to those within Fun-A-Day’s email community. If that’s you, add your email address to the form below to receive the download link in your inbox. If not, join us by adding your information to the same form. Then you’ll receive the summer read it build it write it printable as a welcome gift.