If you’re ready to swap out your calendar numbers this December, grab these free printable candy cane calendar numbers. You can use them as part of your classroom calendar AND for practicing a ton of early math skills with your students.
The candy cane number cards are super easy to prep, and there are a multitude of uses for them. Add them to your Christmas activities for preschoolers and kindergarten kids. You can also use them during a peppermint theme or a candy unit, too. Or just because they’re festive this time of year.
Related: Free Preschool Printables
If you’re a regular reader of Fun-A-Day, you know I love making simple printables that pack a punch when it comes to learning. And these candy cane numbers certainly fit that bill!
Be sure to get your copy of the printable calendar numbers at the bottom of this post.
Candy Cane Calendar Numbers
These number cards can be used so many ways in your classroom, even if you’re not a fan of calendar time with your students. Read below for prepping tips, as well as for ideas for using the candy cane numbers with the kids.
How to Prep the Candy Cane Number Cards
First, grab all of the supplies you’ll need to prepare the numbers. Here’s what I usually use (I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post):
And that’s really all you need to get the numbers ready for your students!
While you’re gathering materials, be sure to pick up anything you’d like to use with the candy cane calendar numbers. Here are some possibilities:
And then it’s time to prep the numbers. Here’s what to do:
- First, get the candy cane number cards at the bottom of this post.
- Then save the file to your computer.
- Open the file in the most up-to-date version of Adobe Reader.
- Print as many copies as you’d like.
- Then cut the cards apart.
- Finally, laminate all the numbers.
Now you’re ready to use the numbered candy canes with your students.
Using the Candy Cane Calendar Numbers with Kids
As I mentioned earlier, you can use the candy cane number cards in so many ways! Here are some of our favorite ideas:
- Of course you can use them as part of your classroom calendar. The number cards work well with both traditional and linear calendars, as well as paper and pocket chart calendars. They’re 3-inch squares, so adjust your printer settings as needed.
- Pair the candy cane numbers with my other Christmas calendar numbers. Then help the kids practice patterning.
- Challenge the children to put the numbers in order from 0 to 35 and back again.
- Have the children practice one-to-one correspondence by placing the appropriate number of manipulatives next to each of the candy cane cards.
- Use the candy cane calendar numbers to measure things around your classroom. From the carpet to the shelves to the children! Encourage the kids to record all of their mathematical findings.
- Make simple addition sentences using the numbered candy canes. Tell math stories as you do so and get the kids involved as appropraite.
- Put together a sensory writing tray with sand or even crushed peppermints. Your students can practice writing numbers, using the candy cane cards as visual cues.
How will YOU use the candy cane calendar numbers with your students? This list is definitely not an exhaustive one, so don’t let my ideas hem you in. Just be sure to let me know any ideas you come up with in the comments.
What are the Kids Learning with the Calendar Numbers?
In case you’re wondering, the answer to that question is, “Quite a lot!” But here’s a list of some of the skills children can learn and practice with the candy cane calendar numbers:
- Number identification
- One-to-one correspondence
- Number formation
- Graphing and data analysis
- Numerical order
As you can see, I wasn’t kidding when I said this simple printable provides A LOT of learning opportunities!
More Candy Cane Activities for Kids
If you and your students enjoy the candy cane calendar numbers, here are a few more ideas to try:
- Candy Cane Ornament Craft (with a literacy twist!)
- Fizzing Candy Canes
- Candy Cane Sensory Bin
- Colored Candy Cane Science Experiment
- Candy Cane Slime
- Peppermint Moon Dough Recipe
Christmas Cookies Around the World Project
Let Preschool Teacher 101 save you a ton of time with done-for-you early childhood resources perfect for preschool and kindergarten. We have hundreds of materials including lesson plans, math and literacy activities, STEM challenges, circle time songs, and so much more. Members of The Pack from Preschool Teacher 101 get access to our products at a steep discount.
Click on the image below to get our Christmas Cookies Around the World Project Pack. This is perfect if you’re exploring sweets associated with the holidays. Kids explore cooking, geography, and much more with this tasty trip around the world.
You can also find us on Teachers Pay Teachers.
Get the Candy Cane Calendar Numbers
This free printable is available to members of Fun-A-Day’s free email community. If you are, please enter your email address in the form below to have the download link sent to your inbox. If you’re not a member, you can join us by adding your information to the same form. Then you’ll receive the candy cane calendar numbers as a welcome gift!