This week’s #PLAYfulpreschool activities focus on a community helpers preschool theme! Here’s a map activity that helps children learn more about the helpers within their own neighborhoods.
mapping fun for a community helpers preschool theme
This activity is a great way to talk about map skills, extend knowledge about community helpers, and get the kids excited about their neighborhood!
Map of neighborhood
Community helpers cards
1. Locate a map of your neighborhood or town. This can be done by picking up a map at a local store or using an online mapping program (like Google Maps).
2. Create cards for each community helper you’ll be mapping. I’ve created a basic set of cards for a firehouse, a police station, a school, and a post office. Feel free to use those cards if you’d like (you can download them HERE). Children can create their own cards with crayons and markers too!
3. Gather the addresses of each community helper that will be placed on the map. Some maps may already have these areas marked, but others might not! Write down the cross streets of the helpers if need be.
4. Work together with the children to locate each address. As you do so, explain how you’re using the map to find the community helper. How you explain the maps is totally dependent on the children you’re working with. So ask lots of questions, model “reading” a map, and get the kiddos as involved as possible!
5. Once the community helpers workplace has been found, mark the area (with a marker or a pushpin). Do this for each community helper.
6. Now it’s time to bring out the helpers cards (either printed or kid-created)! Place each picture near the appropriate location on the map. If need be, glue or pin a string from the exact location to the picture card – however it works best for the size map you have out!
Here is some of the learning that takes place with this mapping activity:
- Spatial thinking – translating 3D concepts onto 2-dimensional maps
- Literacy – reading street names and community helper signs
- Social studies – learning about neighborhoods and community members
More #PLAYfulpreschool lessons for a community helpers preschool theme
Rescue the Alphabet Game by Mom Inspired Life
ABC Mail Delivery Service by Tiny Tots Adventures
Making and Delivering Mail by Growing Book by Book
Community Helpers Starting Sounds – #playfulpreschool by Rainy Day Mum
Map Activity for a Community Helpers Preschool Theme by Fun-A-Day!
Community Helpers Police Hat Craft for Preschoolers at Life Over C’s
Road Construction Pretend Play: The Importance of Stop & Go Games for Kids by Still Playing School
Doctor or Nurse Community Helper Center: Band-Aid Games for #PlayfulPreschool by The Preschool Toolbox Blog
Crossing Guard-Learning and Imaginative Play by Capri + 3
Teach About Community Helpers with Role Playing by The Educators’ Spin On It
Join us tonight at 9:00 EST for a Live Google Hangout. We will be sharing fun crafts, learning activities, and movement games for the community helper theme.The event will be recorded and available for veiwing afterwards.