I like using number cards in preschool for so many math activities – from calendar time to sorting and patterning activities. They’re very versatile, and I like to change up the cards based on holidays or teaching themes. I put together some train number cards based on a favorite children’s book. They’re perfect for a matching card game after reading the book, and they’d do well with a transportation theme too.
This post contains affiliate links.
steam train, dream train
My son (I refer to him as Engineer here on Fun-A-Day) has been into trains since he was about two. They’ve been a staple in our house since then, and something tells me they’ll be around for years to come. A couple of years ago, Engineer and I even took a sleeper train trip to visit family. It’s still a cherished memory for both of us. I think that’s why he and I love this month’s Book Club selection so much! Steam Train, Dream Train will likely always make me smile and think of my kiddo!
It’s a beautifully-illustrated rhyming book that showcases different train cars, which train enthusiasts would definitely enjoy! The story’s all about animals getting ready to sleep on the train, so little animal lovers would get a kick out of it as well. I also think it would be fun during a pajama party!
train matching card game for kids
Print out a set of the train number cards before getting started (grab the free number cards 1 to 30 HERE). If a matching card game is going to be played, be sure to print out an extra set or two! Cut the cards apart and be sure to laminate them for extra durability!
Here are some ways to use the train cards:
- Set up a memory matching card game. Be sure there are two of each number (we started out just using one through ten), then place them face down. Kids take turns turning over two cards to see if they can match the numbers.
- Have the children put the trains in order, beginning at one.
- Kids can use the cards to work on counting backwards, as well.
- Play a skip-counting game using the cards, whether it’s by twos, threes, or fives.
- Grab some toy trains to go along with the number cards. Kiddos can work together to match the correct amount of trains to each numeral.
Do you have any train fans at home? Would they like using these number cards for a matching card game or something else?
Pop on over and check out some more awesome Steam Train, Dream Train activities:
Steam Train, Dream Train Busy Bag | Sugar Aunts
Egg Carton Steam Train Craft | Craftulate
Train Snack for Kids | Still Playing School